The Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung (short forms the “RLS” or “Rosa”) originated from the registered association in Germany once called “Social Analysis and Political Education” and founded in Berlin in 1990. In 1996, the RLS was recognised by the Party of Democratic Socialism (PDS) as its close political education institution. Nowadays, the RLS is affiliated with this German political party “Die LINKE” (“The Left”) founded in 2007, and works closely together with “The Left” worldwide.
The RLS has become a provider of civic education and a centre for progressive social research in both Germany and throughout the world. As one of six party-affiliated political foundations in Germany it supports partners in developing countries striving for social justice, strengthened public participation and economic development. In April 2009, the RLS Regional Representative Office for Southeast Asia was opened in Hanoi managing activities and partnerships in Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar.
In the Southeast Asian region, Rosa embraces the mission of assisting transformation countries, such as Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam to a socially just, sustainable, participatory and democratic society. Currently, it is cooperating with approximately 15 partner organisations like academic institutions and “grass-root” organisations as well as state partners on a variety of issues within the three components of social justice, socio-ecological transformation and participatory politics.
The Project Manager for is responsible for supporting the RLS Representative Office Southeast Asia in developing the country program in the RLS SEA region with a special focus on managing the implementation of planned activities. S/he is in charge of maintaining and widening the RLS a network of potential partner organizations in these countries. The Project Manager supports planning, monitoring and evaluation processes (including knowledge management, reporting and proposal writing) required by the donor of the RLS and the RLS SEA. The Project Manager assists and reports to the director of RLS Southeast Asia. S/he works in close contact with the staff of the RLS office and the RLS headquarters in Germany.
Responsibilities and Tasks
The Project Manager will execute the following responsilities and tasks:
- Responsible for smooth and effective operational management of all project activities
- Manages day-to-day operational aspects of the project with RLS cooperation partners and RLS project and office managers;
- Supervises and ensures the good quality of partner proposals;
- Ensures project documents are complete, up-to-date, and filed appropriately;
- Effectively develops and applies project management standards;
- Maintains and qualifies forms, data sheets, financial guidelines of RLS and the Federal Minstitry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ);
- Frequently monitors project activities onsite;
- Reports and coordinates carefully on the project’s progress together with the RLS finance staff;
- Effectively communicates relevent project information to the Director and the team of RLS SEA;
- Responsible for ensuring correct, complete and transparent financial administration of the project
- Collects and maintains financial documents and files properly, produces scans of invoices and maintains soft copy files;
- Compiles and comments budgets and enters budgeting dat into a specified and complex financial software (“NAVISION/NARIS”);
- Monitors and sends request to the finance managers to proceed funds/payments;
- Ensures that financial documents like invoices are factually correct as well as that financial documentations are proper and meaningful;
- Responsible for building and maintaining effective partner and stakeholder relations
- Maintains and broadens the RLS contact person/partner network in the RLS SEA region, including the German Embassy, as well as other German and International organizations;
- Creates friendly and trustful partnerships with RLS’ cooperation partners and other partners, seeks for advice of the director if problems arise.
- Trains cooperation partners, if necessary, in the processes, methodologies and/or PM tools, applied by RLS for increasing project efficiency and effectiveness.
- Responsible for all written project communication and documentation in line with RLS knowledge management system
- Compiles and edits documents of projects and the RLS office in coherence with RLS knowledge management, corporate design and public relations standards;
- Writes program proposals,concept notes, terms of references and reports as well as project, event and fieldtrip reports in English language;
- Writes ready-for-publication articles about developments in the RLS SEA region in English language;
- Provides verbal and written translations of project related information into English language;
- Responsible for proactively and timely supporting the RLS management whenever the need arises
- Assists the director in the program development in the RLS SEA region;
- On request of the director, participates in meetings, conferences, workshops, seminars, and trainings as the substitute of the director;
- Helps to document project activities and to harmonise local practices towards RLS and BMZ requirments;
- Keeps him/herself regularly updated about legal matters/changes related to RLS activities in the RLS SEA region, actively advises the RLS director in cases action needs to be taken;
- Accompanies the director and other RLS staff during events, fieldtrips and other missions for the purpose of assistance with monitoring and evaluation tasks;
- Suggests areas for improvement in internal processes along with possible solutions;
Qualifications, skills and competencies
- Masters Degree from an international university in Southeast Asian Studies, Political Sciences, Social Sciences, Public Administration, Project Management, Business Administration, Development Studies or similar field;
- At least 2 years of practical experiences in project work in Southeast Asia,
- Professional experiences in project and event management as well as planning, monitoring and evaluation procedures and managing budgets;
- Professional experience in a German Political Foundation and/or another organization operating with funds from the German Federal Ministry for Economic and Development Cooperation (BMZ) is an asset.
Specific Knowledge and Skills
- Solid knowledge and skill in financial project management and project accounting;
- Demonstrated project management knowledge and skill;
- Profound knowledge of German domestic and international politics, familiarity with the political left Spectrum;
- Good skill in analytical papers and articles writing in English language;
- Language skills: fluent in English; German language is an asset;
- Conversant with MS Office and other software assisting websites.
General skills and competencies
- Excellent communication skills: highly communicative; demonstrated experience communicating difficult/sensitive information tactfully; well developed presentation skills;
- Motivated to work in an international and diverse environment as well as to go on business trips abroad;
- Team-oriented: proven ability and motivation to collaborate with other, find solutions and share successes together with colleagues and partners;
- Continuous learning attitude and willingness to adapt to new tools, methodolgies and ways of working;
- Willing to work on weekends and evenings, if required.
The Project Manager
Reports to: Director and project/finance managers of RLS Southeast Asia
Is substitute for: Project managers of RLS Southeast Asia
Will be substituted by: Project managers of RLS Southeast Asia
Duty station: Hanoi, Vietnam
Position: full time
This is a one year position, preferred starting date 15 June 2016.
The position will be offered to the selected candidate beginning from 15 June, 2016 until 14 May, 2017.
RLS would like to invite interested candidates to submit their application following international standards in English language including:
- A motivation letter including salary expectation.
Application deadline: 20 May 2016.
Please be informed that only written and complete application packages like described above meeting all above mentioned requirements will be considered and invited for interview.
Please submit your application to Mrs. Danso-Dahmen (RLS SEA Representative Director) via the e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Inquiries are only accepted before the application deadline. Please refrain from phone inquiries. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted!